Bgcenter logo
Center for cognitive-developmental assessment and remediation
Psychological services for internationally adopted children
Psychologist Dr. Gindis Newsletter Archives Online School Articles Directory Publications of Dr. Gindis
Q: Do I have the right to request a damaging and inaccurate psychological or any other report be removed from my child's school record?
A: Yes and no. You have the federally guaranteed right to inspect your child's educational records maintained by the school. You also have the right to request that any records that are inaccurate or misleading be changed.

You can have the report removed (or amended), but only based on an argument that it is inaccurate or misleading. The school may choose to disagree with you. You then would have to file a complaint and have a hearing.

If you lose at the hearing, you have the right to add a parent-amendment to the record with your explanation of why the record is inaccurate or misleading. By law, this amendment must remain with the record.

The federal law that gives you these rights is FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act). Please refer to this website for more information:

Additionally, you will probably have some rights under state regulations. The state regulations cannot give you less rights, but may give you additional rights, so it is almost always for your advantage to look what the state regulation says.



Psychological services for internationally adopted children. Copyright ©1998-2022